Call For Entries: Submit now for Tricky Women/Tricky Realities 2024!
Show us your films and VR/AR projects!
Tricky Women/Tricky Realities is accepting entries for the 2024 festival edition, taking place in Vienna from the 6th to the 10th of March, 2024. Tricky Women/Tricky Realities focuses on animated films made by women and/or genderqueer artists and therefore fills a unique position within the international festival landscape.
We cannot wait to see your powerful, subversive and evocative animated films! Our only parameters are that at least 50% of the film is animated and 50% of the directresses are female/genderqueer artists. Join us, as we exchange the laws of physics with the laws of imagination, replace the physical with the potential and mobilize the power of animation to explore and articulate some tricky realities. The deadline for applications for the preliminary selection is October 6th, 2023
- Maria Lassnig Golden Film Reel, worth 10,000 Euro, donated by Maria Lassnig Foundation
- TRICKY WOMEN/TRICKY REALITIES Award, worth 4,000 Euro, donated VdFS
- 3-month scholarship to live and work at Q21/MQ under the Artist-in-Residence Program,worth 3,900 Euro
- The Grand Post Award, Post Production Voucher worth 2000 Euro
- Sabine & Nicolai Sawczynski Audience Award International Competition, worth 1 000 Euro
- Hubert Sielecki Award for an Austrian Animation worth 500 Euro
- Up & Coming TRICKY WOMEN/TRICKY REALITIES Award
- Audience Award Up&Coming and Austrian Panorama
- Lumine Award for best VR/AR, worth 500 Euro
The festival offers an international competition of animated short films finished after January 1st, 2022 and realised by female/queer-feminist artists (male co-directors are welcome). Each filmmaker, producer or distributor may submit as many films as they like. No films entered in prior TRICKY WOMEN/TRICKY REALITIES Festivals shall be admitted. The deadline for applications for the preliminary selection is October 6th, 2023. The preliminary selection will be announced in the end of January 2024.
NEW CATEGORY IN COMPETITIONS: VR (Virtual Reality ) & AR (Augmented Reality)
We welcome projects with high artistic quality and unique experiences that thrive in the virtual realm, both linear and non-linear narratives. This program is a cooperation with XR Vienna and Artificial Museum.
The special calls are not limited to current works – feel free to send us as many of your films as you like, whether new or “old” (but not already submitted ones). We are very much looking forward to receiving your entries!
- Work / Work Affairs: This program positions labor as a lens through which we can view the world. This can include (but is not limited to) films about economic exploitation, emancipation, maternal/domestic/emotional labor and how we determine value. This program is supported by Arbeiterkammer Wien.
- Feminist Topics: This program explores asymmetrical power dynamics relative to gender. Relevant films could be about the body, motherhood, abortion, activists, objectification and subjective experiences of tricky realities.
- Fair Play: This program navigates the paths to justice in inherently unjust institutions. Topics could include identity politics (age, disability, race, gender, sexuality etc), equality of opportunity, climate change, ecofeminism and alternative visions of a just world. This program is supported by Arbeiterkammer Wien.
- Animated Documentaries
Please find our conditions of competition also here: